Middlesex uni hendon campus map
Hendon had a population of 52,972 in 2011 and includes the Hendon, Hendon West and Colindale wards.Hendon was historically a civil parish in the county of Middlesex.In 1855 a fire brigade was established, renamed the Hendon volunteer fire brigade in 1866, and a manual fire engine was kept in a building near the church.Further west, adjacent to the Greyhound pub, is the oldest building in Hendon, a seventeenth-century farmhouse which became the former Church Farmhouse Museum (1955–2011), now part of the campus of nearby Middlesex University.Another grave of distinction in the churchyard is that of football manager Herbert Chapman who had great success in charge of Northampton Town, Leeds City, Huddersfield Town and finally Arsenal before his sudden death from pneumonia in 1934.Bram Stoker may well have had St Mary's graveyard in mind when he created the fictional "Kingstead", the uneasy resting place of Lucy Westenra, in his book Dracula.The oldest fabric of the present church is 13th century.The 50 ft tower (c1450) was much restored in the 18th century when the weathercock in the form of a "Lamb and Flag", the badge of St John, was added.
The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 and the area became part of the London Borough of Barnet.The Metropolitan Police Book of Remembrance is displayed in the entrance of Simpson Hall at the centre. The Burroughs is a civic centre for the London Borough of Barnet, and also the site of Middlesex University Business School. On 30 November 2009 the Environment Agency warned residents of flooding along River Brent from Hendon to Brentford, after a day of notably heavy rain.Several premises were temporarily flooded in Brentford and Perivale.The Midland Railway and the Great Northern Railways were built through Hendon in the 1860s.The underground (Northern line) arrived at Golders Green to the south in 1907, the line being extended to Hendon Central, Colindale and Edgware in 1923/24.